FYP 01 - Surgeon Concepts
Final Year Project
Semester 01
Digital silhouettes were then created using the initial traditional thumbnails as influence.
Semester 01
Self-Set Brief:
Concept 3 characters. Create 1 turnaround, 1 movement sheet and 1 illustration for each character.
Setting is a mix of Ottoman and Thai, with an alchemical flare.
The Surgeon - Concepts
For this project I wanted to create characters that didn't fit the usual archetypes/weren't your typical 'main character/hero'. One of the characters I decided to create was a jaded surgeon of ex-military background. He's more of an anti-hero and you'd be hard-pressed to decide if he liked you or wanted to cut you open.
The Surgeon - Concepts
For this project I wanted to create characters that didn't fit the usual archetypes/weren't your typical 'main character/hero'. One of the characters I decided to create was a jaded surgeon of ex-military background. He's more of an anti-hero and you'd be hard-pressed to decide if he liked you or wanted to cut you open.
Initial silhouettes for the Surgeon - I wanted to bring in a heavy Ottoman influence but also wanted to play around with Plague Masks.
I didn't really like any of the silhouettes so far; I couldn't connect with any of them and at this point in time wasn't sure what kind of personality this surgeon had so I produced some sketches to try and find some sort of character in him.
Finally started to get closer to a design I liked. Also began refining a medical bag that he would carry around with him.
These two moodboards helped me to develop the Surgeon further and decide on more of a direction I wanted to take him. I researched Ottoman medical practices briefly, but ultimately took a good deal of influence from the medical equipment available during the Industrial Revolution.
Colour palettes and lots of them. Colour is my nemesis, but this project helped me a lot with that.
Breakdown of clothing layers for surgery, and for everyday use.
Two pages of very sketchy thumbnails for the Surgeon's movement/action sheet. I wanted each character to be shown in movement, but also didn't want them to be too offensive. I wanted to try and create characters that weren't interesting just because they were heavy hitters; they're more like support characters.











Comments
Post a Comment