FYP 01 - Research
Final Year Project
Semester 01
Semester 01
Self-Set Brief:
Concept 3 characters. Create 1 turnaround, 1 movement sheet and 1 illustration for each character.
Setting is a mix of Ottoman and Thai, with an alchemical flare.
Research:
Starting this project, I knew I wanted to explore cultures that aren't typically seen in concept art. Two that I eventually settled on were Ottoman and Thai cultures, though I also wanted to mix in a bit of influence from the Industrial Revolution.
In an attempt to work these influences together in a readable way, I broke them down into sections:
This 'fantastical, alchemical industrial revolution' would mainly be seen in the environments and wares being sold in vast markets similar to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and the Floating Market in Thailand.
Given that I focused this project on characters, I unfortunately didn't have the time to explore this aspect further.
I spent the first week or so researching everything I thought might be relevant to this project from the architecture and religious beliefs to the clothing and typical dyes used.
The following are a few research and moodboard pages that I put together (but are far from all of them):
Research into clothing of the Ottoman Empire.
Starting this project, I knew I wanted to explore cultures that aren't typically seen in concept art. Two that I eventually settled on were Ottoman and Thai cultures, though I also wanted to mix in a bit of influence from the Industrial Revolution.
In an attempt to work these influences together in a readable way, I broke them down into sections:
- Ottoman architecture
- Thai religious influence (including architecture in religious buildings)
- Fantastical, alchemical 'industrial revolution'.
- Ottoman and Thai influence in clothing and people.
Key influence images.
Given that I focused this project on characters, I unfortunately didn't have the time to explore this aspect further.
Moodboard: Wares, Goods and Trade in this fantastical world.
I spent the first week or so researching everything I thought might be relevant to this project from the architecture and religious beliefs to the clothing and typical dyes used.
The following are a few research and moodboard pages that I put together (but are far from all of them):
Research into Thai Buddhism, including Alms Bowls.
Research into clothing of the Ottoman Empire.
Research into Moghul armour, which is not too dissimilar to what Ottoman armour may have looked like.
Research into Thai temple layouts.
Research into religious symbolism in Buddhism (specifically Thai).
Research into Thai clothing styles.
Research into the facial structure of Thai women.
Research into the facial structure of Turkish women.
Research into Muay Thai.
Moodboard for possible alchemical and non-alchemical power sources.
Research and colour swatches of the dyes commonly used during the Ottoman Empire. I contacted a museum in Turkey for further confirmation on the colours that various social classes wore but received no reply to support my research.
Research and colour swatches of the dyes commonly used in Thailand - and also a little table I found citing what colours are worn on certain days.
As previously stated, more research was completed, but I think that's enough spam for one day. Further research was also done as the project progressed.
Comments
Post a Comment