FYP 01 - Acolyte Concepts

Final Year Project
Semester 01

Self-Set Brief: 
Concept 3 characters. Create 1 turnaround, 1 movement sheet and 1 illustration for each character.
Setting is a mix of Ottoman and Thai, with an alchemical flare.

The Acolyte - Concepts
Like the Surgeon, I wanted to avoid hero-like main characters in this project. Instead I placed more of a focus on non-combative 'supporting characters', so even though this one is an acolyte/monk in a militant religion he's actually a lazy bum who refuses to train or work.

Initial silhouettes using a calligraphy marker. Taking a lot of influence from Thai Buddhism for the Acolyte.

Developing silhouettes further in Photoshop.

Like the surgeon, I found it hard to find the Acolyte's personality through just the silhouettes so I made a few sketches to explore possibilities.

Refining a design further after finding a personality and general body shape/style I liked.

Working on colour palettes.

After a progress presentation I was advised to push the Acolyte's silhouette further. I'm really glad about this as I think the overall design became much more interesting.

Illustration thumbnails.


Rough sketches for the movement sheet - He does a lot of dodging, blocking and hiding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural History Illustrators - Olivia Tonge

FYP 01 - Research

Character Designs